Monday, May 30, 2011

Now I Understand the Term: Mixed Dorm

Sunday - May 29

My friend Dies worries about me. She wants to drive me to Rotterdam vs. me taking the train. I thank her, but let her know that I am capable (sometimes) and have traveled before. "I got to Amsterdam, didn't I?" I have booked a room for one night at the YHA, to have time to blog and get my bearings.

A quick stop at the Jewish bakery. Aha, they are open! I buy two croissants for the short trip (they are the best).

In one hour, we are there. The website said to take the road from the station towards the river. Hmmm. . .I don't see the river. Once again, a quick question of a passerby points me in the right direction. Again, aha. . .I see a sign that says, "Info Rotterdam" - the tourist center (hooray, open on Sunday). I get my bearings, a map, and the fellow hands me a giant chocolate bar. "Free today." Okay, I am liking this place!

I find the Youth (ha!) Hostel, which is just a few blocks away and check in. I am a little surprised to find a young Chinese woman in the room. Hmm. . .now I understand what a "mixed dorm room" means. Okay, I am really liking this place!

I think I will take a short ride, but am intrigued by music coming from the park across the street. There is some sort of huge music, African drumming festival. I park my bike and walk about, have some fried fish and a smoothie. The park is FILLED with people. They are all speaking Dutch (duh) and all of the hand-outs and programs are in Dutch, so I have no idea what the festival is about, but I am enjoying the food and the people watching.

I leave the festival and take a short ride across the bridge. The bike paths here are completely separate from the roads, and quite wide. They do, however, also accommodate motor scooters, which can be somewhat unnerving. I stop at a grocery and buy food for dinner.

The kitchen at the YHA is not the best, but I manage to make a nice dinner of lemon chicken with steamed broccoli. Many of you know that in addition to being a gadget freak, I bring dehydrated stuff, like black beans and hash browns. I have recently found little packets of True Lemon crystalized powder. It really works great (comes in lime too). It is now 9:00 pm. Did I mention that the sun doesn't set until 9:30? It's a bit alarming to realize how late it is because the sun is still out. I do some blogging and then head for the room.

It is Sunday night, but the downstairs is filled with a drunken crowd, I think locals, who are hooting and hollaring. They do, however, stop on the stroke of 11:00 pm as the "quiet time" now begins at the hostel. I am now able to fall asleep next to (well, more like across the room from) my new friend, Sun Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.