Sunday, May 29, 2011

Canal Boat, Museums and the Market

Friday & Saturday - May 27 & 28

The weather is gray. I decide to be a tourist and take a canal boat ride. There are so many bikers here, that Dies has advised me to walk vs. ride in the city. I walk to a bike shop along the way and buy a needed seat cover, then head to the central station. I board the "Lovers" museum tour that goes around the city. One can hop-on-hop-off and visit museums and other attractions. The ride is pleasant, and gives one a quite different point of view of the city.

I stop at one museum, but it is under renovation, so many paintings are unavailable. I had hoped to see more Vermeers, but it was not to be. I move on to the Van Gogh museum. There are many wonderful paintings, including Night Watch, but I am dissapointed as my favorite, Starry Night is not there.

The sun has come out and my spirits lift, and I return to the boat and finish the canal ride. Dies and I go to a Turkish restaurant and have little meat balls with rice and humus with the most wonderful, light pita bread I have ever had.

SATURDAY
Dies wants to go to a market for flowers and to browse. I have discovered that I have somehow, unknowingly bent the back rack on my bike. A stop at the bike store reveals that it is irreparable and a new rack is needed (are we having fun yet?).

With that done, we bike to the market. I find a heavy chain lock for the bike and buy it. I will need this to guard against theft, a frequent occurance here in Holland.

Tonight, Dies takes me to an Ethiopian restaurant, one of her favorites. We eat with fingers, the traditional Ethiopian way. Our server assures me that certain elements on my plate are "not very picante." For those who know me, this is a red flag, as my no-spice palate rejects half of my dinner. C'est la vie!

Before bed, I gather my gear together and pack as tomorrow after breakfast I head for Rotterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.