Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Leaving Rotterdam

Monday - May 30

OK. . .Let's face it, the Dutch clearly don't understand the concept of breakfast. The hostel website says breakfast is included with your room. What they mean is: bread; a toaster; some sort of cereal grain (?); juice and coffee. Where are the eggs, the bacon, the hash browns? Someone forgot to send them the memo!

I pack my paniers (bike bags - love that word), check out, and go to load up the bike and head out. Don't panic, the bike is there. . .but my bike light is gone. Of course, the one thing I did not remove fom the bike, someone else clearly has. Why do people do that? Part of me understands the need for power, etc. But another part wonders why some people never learned, or forgot, their kindergarden lessons: "Don't take things that don't belong to you." And they only took the light, not the mounting. What can they even do with it? Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

I have looked at the maps, both paper and online, and I am ready to head twelve miles east for the campground. A nice, sunny day, but near the river there is wind, a headwind. I seem to be doing OK until I come to some construction- the road and path are completely blocked. There is a sign directing bikes to descend some steps, but I am unsure of the route. As I am contemplating my options, two Dutch folk arrive on bikes and face the same dilemma. They do speak English and I show them on the map where I am going.

"Oh, no, no. You are up here." She points to the map. Seems I missed a turn and a bridge. I must now find the ferry and cross the river. "We will show you. Follow us." Translation: "If we don't show this idiot American the way, he will never find it!" Down the steps, down a dirt path, up some more steep steps (remember, 50 pounds on the bike) then back on pavement for about three miles. These Dutch folk are cranking on their one-gear bikes. I am peddling hard to keep up! We arrive at a very small ferry and I thank them profusely. "Dank je, dank je." Make sure you know the important phrases.

The tiny ferry takes me across the river. Three minutes. One Euro. Priceless.

NOW I know where I am. I can see the route clearly, but am still fighting headwinds. I arrive in the small village of Lekkerkerk. I have been biking for 2.5 hours, but it feels like five. Tired of fighting the wind, I stop at a small cafe for lunch and a short rest. I visit the local grocery store and find a steak for dinner and some nectarines. The campground is only a few miles away.

Camping de Nes turns out to be quite nice. It is not too full, so I have an entire quadrant to myself. Cokes are only 85 cents and the wi-fi is accessable throughout the campground, so I can connect while sitting in my tent! I set up my gear and get organized. I relax for a while and do a little blog and facebook catch up. Looks like rain for tonight, so I set up my table and stove, and cook a dinner of steak, tarragon-lime rice and broccoli with lemon butter. Nectarines for dessert. I do love to cook at camp!

Into the tent, a little more internet catch up, and a gentle rain starts as I drift off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.