Friday, May 27, 2011

Holland



Wednesday Morning - May 24

A beautiful sunny morning! I take the train to Rotterdam and will change there for Amsterdam. Twenty minutes later, I arrive and find a conductor for directions. The service lift is the only one big enough for by bike and bags. I change platforms and am told the train leaves at 10:28.

There is a train already on the platform at 10:23, and I ask if this goes to Amsterdam. An affirmative from a fellow passenger prompts me to board the train, park my bike in a cubbyhole and sit. Fourty-five minutes later, a conductor asks to see my ticket and informs me that I should not be on this train. It is an express, and there are no bikes allowed. Fortunately, he is in a good mood and does not throw me off! I have lucked out and arrive much faster than if I had been on the "local." There is a very small lift and I must lift the front of the bike straight up in order to get fully in to reach the exit.

Central Station Amsterdam

Just like it sounds, a bustling terminal of trains, busses and trolleys. I have a small map, and with only one querry to a walker and one reversal of direction, I find my way to the home of my friend Dies (pronounced Deece). She lives right on one of the canals.

Worse Than Cambridge - Exponentially!

There are more bikes than cars. They are EVERYWHERE! You must look 4 ways whenever crossing the street, or even just walking along the sidewalk. The riders are bold and have no fear. Cars too. This leaves all the fear for pedestrians. See above picture of bikes lining the streets and bridges of the canals. Also, many cart-type bikes, and bikes with child seats abound.

Dies takes me to a marvelous park in the countryside with a Van Gogh museum. I could not have hoped for a more gorgeous, sunny day and pleasent tour. We return to dine at a nice Thai restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.