Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bike Through London - Waterloo to King's Cross Station


Post for Sunday - May 22

The London "Eye" ferris wheel. Picture taken from a very windy Waterloo bridge across the Thames.

On my way to just north of Cambridge to visit my friend Linda. The train goes from Salisbury to Waterloo station in London, about an hour and a half ride. I have brought along two pain aux raisin, fresh from the bakery (called a pasty). It is still warm, and almost melts in my mouth. Mmmm. This alone would be reason enough to travel halfway 'round the world!

I have a bit of unease. I am striking out on my own for the next week or so. This is a little unnerving. For the past two years, I have traveled with Cookie and relied on him for directions and "leading the way." Now, I will not have the advantage of his experience and knowledge of the area, or the safety of traveling together.

I must keep pushing back the images of me, stradling my bike on the side of some highway in the middle of nowhere; cars whizzing by me at autoban speeds; dark, cold and rainy; power drained from my cell phone and tablet; not speaking the local language or dialect; feeling like The Little Match Girl. Pehaps that sounds a bit extreme, but you must remember I have a very vivid imagination.

I arrive at Waterloo, hoping it will not be mine, get a map and ask directions to King's Cross. I walk outside and am immediately disoriented. Which way is up? Eventually, I am able to see the bridge and find my way onto it. The wind is fierce today. I am concened about time. I have one hour to get through the city to the other train station. Will that be enough? I seem to be making my way. I confirm my route with a passerby and after forty minutes, arrive at King's Cross. This train only goes to Royston, then busses will take us the rest of the way to Cambridge as they are working on parts of the track.

We arrive at Royston, and must first get to the OTHER PLATFORM, which means STAIRS. A quick query reveals that I must exit the station and ride my bike around the block to the entrance. There, I am happily informed that my bike can go underneath with luggage. Hooray! The Little Match Boy will not be stranded in Royston! (I am now resolved that I MUST buy a cell phone that can be used here.)

Linda is there at Cambridge to pick me up. We head for Lakenheath RAF base. This is a US run base where she teaches kindergarten. We sign in and head for the commissary to pick up some groceries for dinner. I am stunned! American food brands and products are flown into Germany and then trucked to bases in Europe and England. Since it is a US base, they all pay in US dollars. Amazing!

She takes me on a short tour of the area, then we head for her place and a wonderul home-cooked meal. I give her a little assistance with her computer and Facebook and we plan our schedule. Tomorrow I tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.