Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Arrival in Salisbury - Bad News & Good Fortune

May 17

Just as I physjcally crashed after the weekend Slam and party for our friend Paulette, my good luck ran out at the train station in Salisbury. My bike was nowhere to be found. Either it was stolen, or removed by security for being there too long. In any case, I need to buy a new bike. BTW...Cookie's bike WAS still there. I had put mine in a different location...bad move. C'est la vie. A trip to the bike store uncovers a possible choice. I will sleep on it (the decision, not the bike itself) and go back in the morning.

On to the grocery store to get food for tonight, and for tomorrow's breakfast. We are at the hostel for.two days and can use their kitchen to cook, and also use the fridge. I make lamb burgers and Cookie has a veggie/pasta.

Two years ago when l first came to Salisbury, I told stories to group of children staying here at the YHA. Well, there is another group of eleven-year-olds jabbering away in the dining room. Once again, I identify myself as a "storyteller" and offer my services. "Are you available at 8:45 in the day-room?" "I am," says I, and proceed to finish my lamb burger and contemplate which stories I might tell. What good fortune to have found an audience!

There are two dozen students from St. Catherine's Church of England Primary School who sit and listen attentively to "Stealing Smells", "The Otters & The Fox", "The First Picnic on Earth", and "The Princess & The Storyteller Frog." We take a picture for posterity, they are off to bed, and so am I...all with smiles on our faces. How I love storytelling! (pic coming)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.