Friday, June 3, 2011

Brugge ist Gesloten


Thursday - June 2
A beautiful, sunny day in Brugge. There are many, many museums here: a museum of folklore; a diamond museum; a chocolate museum. I am looking forward to as many as I can do. I check at the campground reception regarding a grocery store nearby for when I return and will make dinner. "There are two, but they are closed today. It's a holiday."

Oh well. I head into town to see what I can find. As I ride down the street towards the canal, I am aware that nothing is open. Every store, shop, service is closed. This must be some big holiday. I cross the canal and ride around town. Everything in town is gesloten. Shut down tight, museums included!

There are people walking around, they seem to be heading to the town square. I make my way there, and it is teeming with people. Crowds abound as I discover it is some sort of religious Festival of the Procession of Blood. There are chairs and bleachers everywhere in preparation for people to watch the procession, which goes throughout the entire town.

As crowds and processions of blood are not my thing, I decide to head back to camp. As luck would have it, I pass right by the chocolate museum and it is open. Mmmmm. There is a short film on the history of chocolate, and a nice demonstration on how they make those little chocolate candies filled with nuts and other stuff. . .and they hand out some samples too. I am including a picture of chocolate purses here for Sheri.

I head back to camp, do some laundry and putter about. As none of the stores are open, I am relegated to a second night of black beans and rice, this time with a scrambled egg mixed in (don't want to waste it, or take it with me back to England). Thank goodness for my dehydrated foods!

A little blogging, then off to bed as tomorrow is another day of full travel. Goodby Brugge, sorry I missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.