Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Sandwich in Sandwich

OK - I just couldn't resist! Most of you could have guessed this would happen. I traveled half-way round the world for a joke.

It's a sleepy little village with a lot of midieval history. Actually some of the area goes back close to 2000 years. But today, there is a Town Crier, anouncing the craft fair at the church (I really think he is in tears because of my picture of the sandwich). I visit the fair and then ride around town, taking in the tiny one-way streets and quaint shops.

I ride 3 miles to Richborough, site of the ruins of a fort, originally built by the Romans sometime around 64 AD, when they set out to conquer Britain. There were many itterations of the fort over the years, depending on who was in power, and who was trying to take power. See the pic above: juxtaposition of ancient and modern. . .the remains of the fort with a power generating stack behind to the right, and a modern-day power generating windmill to the left.

I return to town and connect at the Sandwich library, call Cookie on Skype and we coordinate meeting in Canterbury tomorrow. Head back to camp for a short nap while I charge the Tablet with the solar charger.

The campground folks have recommended a fish and chips place in town, so I try them for dinner (I would cook myself, but it is very windy, and I just don't feel like fighting the wind). This is supposed to be authentic, English fish and chips, but when the guys behind the counter converse with each other, they all speak in French! C'est la poisson et chips!

I am back at the pub, in the corner blogging, but pause long enough for dessert, Sticky Toffee Puding with cream. . .yes. . .I am on vacation and off my diet.

Tomorrow: A 15-20 mile ride to Canterbury. Supposed to be windy and wet. Let's hope that at least that I can pack up before it gets wet. One can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.