Friday, June 3, 2011

Big Escalator

If you are queamish, don't read this post.
To my sister Sally & my friend Gabby:
DO NOT READ THIS POST!
DO NOT PRINT THIS POST OR SHOW IT TO MOTHER!


Antwerp Central Station - The Rest of the Story

I arrived at the Antwerp station with 20 minutes to change platforms. This is a huge station with many levels, at least four that I can see. I am on the bottom level. I find the lift, but it is not working. I flag down a trainman and he says there is no other lift, but it is OK to use the escalator. "With the bike?" "Yes, it's OK." Hmmm.

OK, I figure, I will just hold tight to the brakes and I will be fine. I forget that the bike is "back-heavy" with the paniers. As the steps begin to rise and steepen, the front of the bike rears up like a frightened horse. The bike starts slipping backward, down the moving steps. I loose my balance. The bike with heavy bags now begins to topple backwards on top of me. I am upside down. I am backwards. I am upside down and backwards. I have no paddle. I cannot do a roll. I am drowning.

I have visions of my clothing getting caught and strangling me, like I am in some strange horror movie. I hear a woman yelling, "Stop, stop, stop!" If there is a kill button, no one pushes it. I hear people behind/below me. I cannot get up. I feel them steady the bike and stop it/us from moving backwards. I catch my breath but still cannot get up. I cannot reach the handrail to pull myelf up. I hold my breath and ride out the moving stairway.

We all reach the top where the bike and I are deposited, like baggage onto a carousel. Finally. . .dry land.

I manage to stand and try to gather myself. I try to right the bike, but it is heavy, and the front wheel has turned around 180 degrees. It takes me a moment to orient myself, and eventually get the wheel around and the bike upright and steady.

There appears to be no damage to the bike. Paniers are still on tight. Brake and gear cables all OK. The spout of my water bottle was slightly open and water has spilled in various places. My shirt and pant leg are wet. How could I have been so stupid? Only a complete idiot would have attempted such a stunt. The embarassment mixed with fear begins to subside as people move on to their own destinations. I do not even have a chance to thank the people who helped me. I never saw them.

I find an information screen and find the correct platform number. I am on level one. I must go up three more levels.

Now a new fear exists. What if I miss my train? How will I get up without the lift. I cannot survive a similar ascent.

I need to take a deep breath, splash some water on my face. I scout the next escalator. How can I run this rapid? What line and direction should I take? Aha! I shall do this backwards!

I turn the bike around and gently "back" on to the escalator, holding both brakes fast and placing my body on the lowest step. I have tamed the escalator! Two more, just like that one and we are home free. I have ascended to the top level, in more ways than one.

Years ago, I ran Badger rapid, and survived the rest of the Big Water of the Grand Canyon. In Belgium, I had a tumble, but I got back up and prevailed over the Big Escalator of Antwerp Central Station.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mark - this is so frightening! I'm so glad you are ok!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.