Saturday, June 4, 2011

Full Day of Travel - I Remember the Routes

Today is a long travel day: from Brugge to Lille by train; change to Calais by train; take the ferry to Dover; take a train to Sandwich. Whew!

The best part: I was supposed to have a one hour layover in Lille, but when we arrive, I ask the conductor which platform the Calais train will be on. He points across to the next platform and says the train is leaving for Calais right now. He calls to the conductor of the other train and they waive me on - no wait - yea!

Another good thing is that when I got to Calais (France) I remembered the route from the train station to the ferry. And when the ferry landed in Dover (see pic of white cliffs above) I remembered the route to the train station. The brain is still there!

Twenty minute train ride to Sandwich, quick pedal through the town and find the campground. I have a huge pitch all to myself. Do these folks know something I don't? I set up camp (very windy) and head for a local pub where I sup. I ask if there is wi-fi and the proprietor, a very sweet lady, sets me up in a corner and unplugs the cigarette machine so I can charge my tablet. What a pleasure.

After uploading blogs, I stop at the co-op for some eggs, then turn in. . .with ear plugs to block the trains that pass every 30-45 minutes. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.