Monday, June 6, 2011

The Raining Monarch of Canterbury




Monday - June 6
In tents, rain. Intense rain.

I awake at 5:00. It rained all night and is still coming down. I go back to sleep and wake again at 8:00. It is still raining. An hour later, the heavens still have their spouts open. I head for the blockhouse, shower (I suppose I could have done it outside in the rain, but it is a few degrees warmer inside) shave and decide I can be in the tent no longer. I let Cookie know that I am off to the pub for beakfast, and head down the hill. . .in the rain.

Cookie joins me later and we have breakfast while we wait out the rain (good luck). We catch up with each other on our separate adventures of the past two weeks. We laugh and cry together. It is good to spend time with him again. We look at the map, and make plans to head southwest tomorrow for Ashford, or beyond if we can.


Our first stop after breakfast??? Our favorite store - Poundland (where everything is one pound)! By the way, I looked for, but could not find a Euroland or anything similar in Holland or Belgium. We stock up on tchotchkeys and then visit other stores in town for similar stuff that we really don't need.

The rest of the day is spent walking about Canterbury, chatting, telling stories, revisiting some of our favorite places and ending up back at the pub for some dinner and blogging. Except for the rain, a great day!

Tomorrow we ride.

2 comments:

  1. Mark... I met you this evening outside Wetherspoons pub in Canterbury. I felt compelled to come and speak to you both as I watched you get your bikes ready before you set off up the hill to your camp site. There is something so natural about the bicycle and and two gentlemen on an adventure. I was so pleased that you are doing this and I look forward to doing similar adventures in the future. I have discovered a burning desire to ride and explore and I love it when I come across others who do too. What great stories you will have to tell. James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark... I met you this evening outside Wetherspoons pub in Canterbury. I felt compelled to come and speak to you both as it is such a pleasure to see two explorers on the adventure of a lifetime and I hope to have similar adventures in the future. I will you both well on your travels around England and I hope that it is not too wet. You will no doubt have many stories to tell! James

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting.