Sunday, June 8, 2008

New Things


We love new things: new shoes; new clothes; cars; appliances; new babies, new friends; anything new. They make us feel good.

I just got a new refrigerator and oven. The oven has one of those “flat tops” where you don’t actually see the burners, just circles. It is very pretty. Although it is a hand-me-down from my sister and brother-in-law, it looks brand new. More importantly, it is new to me. I also got a refrigerator from them. It has ice and water in the front door. This makes it even more exciting. It’s new, and it has gadgets!

The funny thing about it is that I find myself going into the kitchen every other minute. I turn the knobs on the oven. I turn the oven light on and off. I open the refrigerator doors and look at the food inside. I put a glass up to the door to get water. I don’t drink it. I just want to see it work! I keep checking the icemaker to see if cubes are forming. I can’t wait till the first ones drop so I can test the dispenser.

We respond differently to new things. We feel excitement around new things. They make us feel a sense of accomplishment. We walk with a bit of a swagger in new clothes. We want to show people what we have.

“Look at my new watch.”
“I bought a new phone.”
“I met someone new.”
“I posted a new blog.”

New takes us out of what we believe is ordinary, and seems elevates us.

What would it be like if we responded the same way with old things?

“I’m wearing my oldest shirt. It makes me feel so comfortable.”
“Have I showed you the watch I got twenty years ago? It keeps great time!”
“Every time I walk into this old house, I get a tingle. I know I belong somewhere”

Oh yes, and at least one more:

“Have you met my eighty-eight year-old mother? She is
quite incredible!”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.