Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hot & Cold Movers


Of a stove and a refrigerator to be exact. My sister and brother-in-law got new ones, so they gave me their “very gently used” ones. I say that because my sister is a neat freak, so even old from her is almost brand new.

As with my first blog, I smartly resisted the temptation to call a friend with a truck and move them myself. Good idea, as upon arrival at my residence, it was clear that there would be some maneuvering to be done. A lot of maneuvering. Thank goodness I hired two guys to do the heavy lifting. I have done my share of heavy lifting in the past, and I believe I am entitled to pay someone else to do it now.

The first piece of business was to set up a three-person relay to transfer the food from my old refrigerator to a space in the dining room that I had staked out. I am sure they hadn’t planned on that little job, even though it only took a few minutes. Then, on to the big stuff.

Even though they new what they were doing, my doorways were so small that they had to enlist my help in removing one door completely, and then the other door partially. As this half door has the water line for ice and cold water, I had to hold it with the water line still attached and swing it out of the way so we could get it past the door jamb and the kitchen counter. What an ordeal!

Once we got both appliances in, Hector said, “We are going to hold the door for you so you can put it back on (which took finding the three little holes at the top to secure the screws). I thought he was being helpful, but I realized, as soon as the door was on, that they just wanted to get out of there! The job had obviously taken much longer than they had thought and now they were late for the next appointment.

I put the food back, and in the process tossed several things that resembled nothing like food once I got a longer look at them. The science projects had to go!

Oh yeah, I still have to remove the molding from the bottom of the alcove where the fridge will go. It will just fit. Guess I should have done my homework and measured first. How many times have I said something similar to myself before nearing the end of a project bwithout truly planning it through?

So now it is off to the hardware store to look for a three-pronged electrical outlet to mount into the wall. Did I forget to tell you that my old stove was wired directly into the wall? The new one has a huge plug. I wonder if I will hire an electrician to install it, or just, “do it myself.” Hmmm…

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.