Thursday, May 27, 2010

Stories from Salisbury

Thursday – May 27

It rained last night and was a bit cold and damp this morning. Plus, they are doing some construction work next to the campground and started at 7:30 am! Don't they know I'm on Holiday? Doesn't the weatherman know I'm on holiday?

I thought there was “storytelling” at the Festival today. Turned out to not be what I expected, but was still quite interesting. The Festival had asked people to send in their “stories”, and then they would decide which ones would be told during the Festival. Cookie actually sent in a story about why the Festival is important to him and they will tell it on Saturday. Unfortunately, I will be gone by then.

So what they are doing is having someone “read” the stories that were chosen. Some of the stories are true; stories of love found or love lost; simple stories of childhood or fictional stories that people have written. One such story was written by a thirteen year-old. It was a great and beautiful story about a tree she had in her back yard. I absolutely loved it and was amazed that a thirteen year-old had written it. I went to the Festival office and asked about contacting the author for permission to tell the story as part of my repertoire. As it turns out, her mother works in the Festival office and gave me permission to tell it. I will, however, write to her and ask formal permission. I think she will appreciate that. I will go back tomorrow to hear more of the stories.

It turned out to be a beautiful, sunny day in Salisbury. Did a bit of biking about, sitting at the Inn and typing, and talking with people. Another great vacation day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.